Thursday, February 11, 2010

Unreasonable Demands?

When I get back, I want to see some broccoli on my plate!

This is what Harvey says to us when he gets up from the table for a potty break during dinner. We were so torn - do we discipline him for being disrespectful or do we laugh? We held it together until he was gone to the bathroom and then we laughed. And of course, we took some pleasure in the fact that he demanded broccoli and not cookies, but we didn't let him know.

When he's not busy being pretty darn disrespectful these days (kind of trying out a new attitude that his parents DO NOT like - we're working on it), Harvey is just funny. The other night we read a book about a cat who goes to school: http://www.amazon.com/Splat-Cat-Rob-Scotton/dp/0060831545/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265903319&sr=8-1.

Harvey said he would really like to visit Cat School, and for some reason I felt the need to dash his spirits by pointing out that Cat School is a pretend place. It's sort of hard to know when to keep up the charade and when to gently lead kids back to reality.

Harvey looked at us and said, "No Cat School? Wah-wah."

You know, the sound effect from SNL's Debbie Downer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debbie_Downer

We have no idea where he gets this stuff. I promise we're not letting him watch SNL. I mean, there are times when I'd be willing to let him watch just about anything if it resulted in peace and quiet for me, but I haven't totally lost my mind. Yet.

Well, I've been writing this post for about a week now... am never going to finish. This whole parenting thing really cuts in to my "me" time. I'll upload some pictures later. Promise.

Let's just wrap up this post by saying all is well. The boys are hilarious and precious and just a bit time consuming. Pete has mastered crawling, is working on standing alone (for many seconds at a time) and trying to walk (with disastrous results). He has four teeth (two up, two down) and is working on about four more right now. That's fun, if your idea of fun includes loads of drool and whining.

So that's the short version of what's going on here. Pictures coming later today. And soon an update on the play scape that ate our back yard. Or will eat it, assuming we ever get the thing assembled. Oh, that's right - SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED. As in, 41 different steps and about 1 million different pieces. In Harvey's words, "This is going to take a hundred of days to build." How right he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment