Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Not For Pete (The Nine Month Update)

I say those words, "Not for Pete," oh, 400,000 times every day. And I'm met with something along the lines of,

"Okay, it's not for me right NOW, but how about now, 2 SECONDS LATER? Now is it for me?"

Pete will not be stifled by something as trivial as discipline, or danger for that matter. As with most children (I'd venture to say all of them, but maybe there are one or two out there who buck the trend), Pete does not have enough to think about. Therefore, he is very focused. If he wants something he will get it, come hell or head injury. Short of finding him some sort of employment or other life stresses to think about we are going to have to be diligent with his discipline.

Pete turned nine months old (!) on Sunday and we had his well check this morning. He is 19 pounds, 1.5 ounces and 28 inches long. For anyone interested (GRANDPARENTS), at nine months Harvey weighed 19 lbs., 7 oz. and was 27 1/2 inches. Pete weighed more at birth (1 lb. 4 oz. more) - of course, he cooked almost 2 1/2 weeks longer than Harvey did - and they were both 19 1/2 inches at birth; but since then they have been almost identical in size. Pete is consistently longer by 1/2-3/4 of an inch, and their weights have been within ounces.

So for posterity's sake, here are some of Pete's favorite activities right now:

- All things high and fast, like being tossed in the air (makes his mother feel nauseous - bonus!)

- Being with Harvey, who is tolerant and occasionally even accommodating. Harvey is completely grossed out by drool, snot and vomit, so that means that there are very few times each day when he finds Pete tolerable.

- FOOD! If we ever doubted that he was our kid (we didn't, I promise, Pete), we now have confirmation that he is indeed one of us. He eats like a champ and will scream, "AHHHH!" if we don't keep the food coming fast enough. Waffles, toast and Cheerios are favorites, as are most fruits and veggies that he can pick up by himself. One little oddity is that he refuses to feed himself with his right hand. He's a strictly left-handed eater. The doctor assured us that although it's a little weird, it's nothing to be concerned about. Pete uses his right hand for play and climbing/pulling up, so we know that hand and arm work.

- Speaking of climbing/pulling up, Pete's all about being upright. So much so that he has at least one head injury a day. I know I've mentioned this many times already, but it bears repeating. We're considering bubble wrap or a helmet. He adores the Learning Tower in the kitchen, and stands there often. He also loves to stand by his high chair and Harvey's booster chair (see above re: food). He can stand on his own now, but we are not encouraging any further mobility, if you know what I mean.

- Some firsts: First ear infection and fever just over 2 weeks ago. So he had his first antibiotics then, too. We are still dealing with the residual snot and congestion. Lots of fun. First near concussion in a fall that was so scary I had to call Mark and ask him to come home. That's really not like me - I mean, this is my second boy. I know they fall! But that fall scared me (pulled a chair over on himself). I was on Concussion Watch for 24 hours, even though the doctor's office and Mark assured me that Pete was likely fine. Lots of first foods (again, see above). First car trip to Houston at the end of January. He did so well in the car. Pete, unlike his brother was at this age, is a gem in the car. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. Sorry Pete - that's life with an old mom.

- Favorite toy: anything Harvey is playing with. Pete also has two "loveys" that he sleeps with and they are well loved, let me tell you. The bunny is especially loved on, as in covered with snot and boogers. Additionally, Pete loves cords of any kind, window blinds and dresser drawer pulls. The better to maim and/or kill himself with...

- Favorite place to play: under the breakfast room table or by the sofa table (see picture - one of our thousands of "not for Pete" moments daily). Loves Harvey's room. The train table is a favorite spot. He stands there and bangs trains together (or chews on them), and will happily hang out at the table for many, many minutes.

So I could share more (what mother can't), but Pete and Harvey are both up from their naps and there has already been one incident of someone kicking someone else in the head. I should go...

Again I'm unable to "caption," so here's what you're seeing:

1. One of Pete's favorite "not for Pete" places - the sofa table. He knocks this stuff over daily and you might be thinking that I should move everything. But no. He and I are equally stubborn, so I will continue to pick up my books every day.

2. Playing with one of his bibs and standing on his own (it's hard to tell from the picture, I know).

3. This is the face Pete makes when he's thrilled with himself. The face is often accompanied by a laugh that sounds like "heh, heh, heh."



No comments:

Post a Comment