What a fun day! Rather than post a lot of pictures here (and get annoyed with Blogger for making the upload painful), I put them all in a web album for you. Please use this link to see the story of our day. :)
http://picasaweb.google.com/tcumissy/SnowDay2010#
We had big, fat, fluffy flakes for much of the day. Temperatures hovered above freezing all day, so as soon as the snow slowed down the accumulation began to melt. But it was so pretty while it lasted. And thank goodness it lasted long enough for the neighborhood kids to build some snowmen, throw a few snowballs (Harvey's favorite activity of the day), and catch some flakes on their tongues.
It's actually still snowing right now, but we're headed for an icy night rather than a snowy one. All ice and snow will be a memory by 9 a.m. tomorrow. Today, though, we had hours of fun outside, followed by warm, toasty meals* inside. What more can we ask for? Oh, I know - for there to be school tomorrow!! But no. Round Rock ISD is starting late tomorrow, and we follow the RRISD schedule, and since preschool only lasts four hours there's really no point in going to school for two hours. What? I'd take two hours! I'd take 10 minutes. One day off is great. But tomorrow there will be no snow to play in. Once the ice melts in the morning, we'll be left with one antsy preschooler.
The news is reporting that this is the largest snowfall in Austin since 1985. I remember that year really well. And I remember when I overheard my mom on the phone during one of our snow days, telling a friend that she was out of ideas for entertaining us and was ready to rent us Debbie Does Dallas. Now, I didn't know what that movie was, but I had a pretty good idea that it was not at all appropriate for children. I am currently searching Netflix to see if I can find a similarly inappropriate film for tomorrow. Kidding. Well, probably kidding.
* This is not a food blog, obviously (if you thought it was then you clearly haven't been reading the posts), but I have to tell you what we ate today. It was all so comfort-y and warm, and I feel compelled to share our lunch and dinner menus:
- Lunch was peanut butter, honey and banana paninis, accompanied by tomato soup.
- Dinner appetizers - house made sweet potato steak fries.
- Dinner was turkey and bean chili and homemade biscuits (from this actual, wonderful food blog: www.smittenkitchen.com).
- Snack today - hot chocolate, of course. Gourmet chocolate, flavored with cinnamon and vanilla. Topped with homemade whipped cream, mini chocolate chips and cinnamon.
Praise God it rarely snows here. We cannot eat like that every day! Oh, it was fun for today, though.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment