Thursday, November 12, 2009

This Ain't No Spa

If you're trying to decide between, say, having children or becoming a cosmetologist, then I have some info that will, in no way, help you make the decision. Parenting and cosmetology? They're the same thing. Sort of. I spend a crazy number of hours cutting and cleaning fingernails & toenails.

Nobody tells you this when you're pregnant. Nobody says, "So, how are you with nails? How's your coordination? Can you simultaneously grasp a slobbery, and therefore slippery, baby hand, divert said baby's attention, and clip his teensy, paper-thin fingernail without making him bleed?"

And then do it nine more times. Every other day. (Or, some days, nineteen more times - for some odd reason, my boys' toenails grow a little slower than their fingernails. Filed down by socks, perhaps??)

I have no memories whatsoever of cutting Harvey's fingernails before he was about one. Perhaps I blocked it out? I really don't know. But now that I have two small people to clean and maintain, I'm oddly aware of how much cutting there is in our lives. We're not even going to discuss my prenatal vitamin-infused nails. Look closely, you can see them growing.

I once heard someone say that the job of parenting equated to the job of wiping. Wiping noses, hands, household surfaces, and of course, hineys. It's very true. But the other big parenting activity seems to be some form of Beauty (or Barber, in our house) Shop. There's no end to our hygiene activities. Teeth to be brushed, hair to be trimmed, washed, brushed and complained about. Harvey would prefer we never, ever, ever, ever brush his hair. So all those pictures where his hair is hanging straight down in his face? Styled by Harvey. As Pete currently has about three hairs, we aren't having to do any maintenance there. His head, in fact, may be coated with RainX, because the water just beads up during his bath.

Are you waiting for the point? There isn't one. I just finished vacuuming up all the tiny fingernails I clipped off of Pete and got to thinking about how I would describe my primary job responsibilities. Near the very top of the list would be: Cutter of Tiny Finger and Toenails.

As a thanks for reading this pointless ramble, here is round 1 of the Halloween pictures.


Proud Diego, walking in the parade.


Watching the parade, wearing Monster pj's in honor of the event.


Ms. Carolyn's Bunny Class

No comments:

Post a Comment