Monday, April 5, 2010

If I Liked Doing Crafts I Would Homeschool

We had to make hats for an Easter parade at Harvey's preschool last week. Make them. Or, more accurately, we had to decorate hats. I didn't weave a straw cowboy hat or anything. Let's not go completely crazy.

At first I was distressed. I'm not particularly crafty, and Harvey is not big on arts and crafts. At least not with me. He seems to really enjoy art class at school and is always so proud of everything he brings home. With me, though, it's a little more like this:

M: Harvey, do you want to color?

H: Sure!

M: Here are all the crayons and some paper.

H: No, I just want one crayon. The green one. And you can have the yellow one. Color with me. Right here, on this very same spot where I'm coloring.


[We color in the EXACT SAME SPOT for about 30 seconds.]

H: Okay, I'm done, Mom. Do you know what I drew?

M: Tell me about it.

H: No, Mom. Do YOU know what I drew? What is that?


You get the idea. He's not begging to do crafts and I'm not itching to do them either. God knew what he was doing when he gave me Harvey! Needless to say, panic set in when the letter came home from school telling me that I had to MAKE A HAT. I wanted to hand them an envelope with $20 in it and note that said,

"Please go buy the supplies and make Harvey's Easter hat. I will *let* him stay after school to do the project. If we were crafty I wouldn't need to send him to preschool!"

Instead, I put on my own "Get A Grip, Mom" hat and we got busy. One of my good friends, whose daughter is in Harvey's class, and I went to Hobby Lobby and filled our baskets with all kinds of tacky - um, creative - stuff. And that night after bath time, Harvey and I assembled his hat. To my surprise he was interested for over five minutes and was very specific about where each dinosaur and egg should go. I did all the tedious gluing after he went to bed. There is A LOT of glue on that hat. Just saying.

Here is the finished product, along with a couple parade shots.




No comments:

Post a Comment